Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security E5 is a new offering that was announced in July 2016. This is the beginning of a series of blog entries that will cover the new components of this offering: Identity and Access Management, Information Protection, and Identity-driven Security.
Before we dive into what’s new, it may be helpful to understand the origins of the suite. Since March 2014, Microsoft has had a suite of products named Enterprise Mobility Suite.This suite was comprised of the following services:
- Azure Active Directory Premium – to provide Identity and Access Management for cloud-based software
- Azure Active Directory Rights Management Services – to provide data protection
- Microsoft Intune – to provide mobile device management and mobile application management
The Advanced Threat Analytics (ATA) product was added to the suite in August 2015.ATA helps protect the network by utilizing machine learning to identify normal and abnormal behavior on your network.
In July 2016, Microsoft announced that the suite was being renamed, enhanced, and expanded into 2 separate plans – E3 and E5. The new name of the suite is Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security (keeping the same EMS abbreviation). In Fall 2016, all of these new services have reached general availability.
As you can see from the picture above, EMS E3 remains the same as the legacy Enterprise Mobility Suite (just adding the P1 moniker).This series of blog posts will focus on the services added by the E5 level of the suite – which includes:
- Azure Active Directory Premium P2 – includes all of P1, plus:
- Azure Identity Protection
- Azure Privileged Identity Management
- Azure Information Protection Premium P2 – includes all of P1, plus:
- Intelligent, automatic classification and encryption of files and emails shared inside and outside the organization
- Microsoft Cloud App Security
- A new offering that discovers all cloud apps in use in your network – giving you visibility into “Shadow IT” – and assesses the risk of that app
The next entry in this series will begin with a discussion of Azure AD Premium P2, please be on the lookout for the next article!