While business security in the world of cloud is something that our New Signature experts focus on daily and we are happy to recognize October as National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. It’s a wonderful opportunity to slow down, assess your business security and address any unchecked boxes to keep your environment protection at its peak.
The creation of National Cybersecurity Awareness Month was a joint effort from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the National Cybersecurity Alliance (NCSA) and is a collaborative effort between government and industry to provide education and resources to stay safe and secure online.
This year, the NCSA is focusing on IT as a shared responsibility between users and business leaders. It’s essential to follow the steps below in order to remain proper stewards of your business and user data.
Businesses should be continually rotating through a pattern of:
- Identifying and assessing business cybersecurity position and risks.
- Protecting your customers and employees with a proper security strategy.
- Detecting and monitoring key threats and behaviors that place your data at risk.
- Responding to threats or necessary maintenance that helps prevent attacks.
- Recovering to incidents should they occur.
Trends for 2019
As technology develops, so does the sophistication of hackers. This is why it is vital to consistently follow the steps above and reach out for expert guidance when needed for monitoring or security and governance strategy consultation. Below are some key areas of security consideration this year.
- IoT devices will continue to be a major target for malware attacks as we expect over 200 billion connected devices to be in place by 2020.
- 95% of cybersecurity breaches are due to human error. This means that technology alone cannot stop an attack. Proper education, awareness and best practices are essential to incorporate a shared responsibility culture in your workplace.
- More than 77% of organizations for not have a cyber security response plan in place. This is a key step in the process of continually address cybersecurity.
- 43% of cyber attacks target small businesses. Your business is not too small for a hacker to bother with. Your safety and security are essential whether you have 5 employees on staff or are a global operation.
- There is a hacker attack every 39 seconds. Leaving cybersecurity issues take a back burner is not an option.
We are Here to Help
New Signature has helped businesses of all sizes identify, protect, detect, respond and recover from attacks. We can help outfit your organization with the best in Microsoft tooling to protect your data and users and we can also manage your security posture for you through our Global Managed Services.
Join Us to Learn More
We would love for you to attend our upcoming webinar, Security and Compliance in Office 365. This free online event will be filled with thrills and chills – but, more importantly, information and awareness to keep your fears at bay by focusing on why security and compliance are important, best practices, tools and ways to stay informed.
Security and Compliance in Office 365
October 23, 2019
10:00 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.