One of the easiest ways to take control of your Azure expenses is to ensure that your resources — most notably VMs and Azure SQL databases — are appropriately sized. The Cloud Management Portal’s rightsizing feature makes this easy for you. The CMP uses the Azure Resource Manager to obtain the utilization and performance data for your Azure VMs and Azure SQL databases. To approve read-only access to your Azure Resource Manager and start using the rightsizing feature follow these simple steps.
NOTE: To complete this process, you will need Azure portal credentials that have Co-Administrator or Service Administrator rights to the subscriptions you want to enable.
- Browse to the Configuration Hub and click the CONFIGURE button for Azure Resource Manager Access.
- Click the Azure RM Access / Subscriptions tab at the top of the page.
- Click the orange AZURE RESOURCE MANAGER ACCESS button. This will take you to the Azure portal to approve read-only access for the Cloud Management Portal.
- Log in to the Azure portal using Azure credentials that have Co-Administrator or Service Administrator rights to your subscriptions, and approve read-only access by clicking the Accept button.
- Check the Rightsizing dashboard to view your recommendations. Rightsizing should begin making recommendations within approximately 3 hours. Once your data has been loaded into the portal and recommendations have been made, you will see a summary of your recommendations at the top of your rightsizing dashboard.
By default, all your recommendations will be shown, but you can use the filters to quickly find specific resources. To view the details of a given recommendation, click the resource name.
Here you can view the detailed utilization information, and the details of the recommendation. If a recommendation doesn’t make sense for your business needs, you can prevent it from showing in the dashboard by checking the Ignore Recommendation checkbox on the details screen. If you later decide you would like to see recommendations for this resource again, simply check the Show all ignored recommendations checkbox in the filter menu of the rightsizing dashboard.