Launched in July of 2017, LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms are a new way to capture leads (People) directly into Marketo without sending them to a form embedded in a Marketo Landing Page or web page with embedded form. Theoretically, this will help your registration conversion rates regardless of whether you utilize the lead gen form for event registration, document/whitepaper download or application registration.
There are a few technical steps across both Marketo and LinkedIn that need to be navigated and we could not locate a single resource explaining all the steps necessary, so we pulled together this guide to help assist your LinkedIn Lead Gen forms connection to Marketo.
Currently, Lead Gen Forms are only available on mobile for sponsored content campaigns.
- Locate LinkedIn API Keys
- Define a Lead Gen Forms Manager
- Add LinkedIn Matched Audiences as a Launchpoint Service in Marketo
- Add LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms as a Launchpoint Service in Marketo
- Create Marketo Lead Gen Form Capture Campaign
- Test the Connection
Step 1: Locate LinkedIn API Keys:
- Go to https://www.linkedin.com/ad.
- Click arrow next to Account Assets select Matched Audiences.
- Select the Uploaded list audiences
- Click Connect to data integration.
- Cut and paste your Public Key and Secret Key into Marketo.
Step 2: Define a LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms Manager
- Click the Me icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Below Manage, select your Company Page.
- Click on arrow next to Admin Tools at the top of the page and click Page Admins.
- Click on Lead Gen Forms Manager in the left rail.
- Start typing the person’s name you want to add in the text box.
- Click to person’s name to add Admin.
- Click Save Changes.
Step 3: Add LinkedIn Matched Audiences as a Launchpoint Service in Marketo
This is not necessarily required for getting Lead Gen forms spun up, but while you’re here, might as well.
- Open Marketo
- Go to the Admin section.
- Select Launchpoint.
- Select New and New Service.
- Enter a Display Name and choose LinkedIn Matched Audiences.
- Copy and paste the API Key and API Secret into the modal. Click Create.
Or, follow the instructions in this guide: https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Add+LinkedIn+as+a+LaunchPoint+Service
Step 4: Add LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms as a Launchpoint Service in Marketo
- Open Marketo
- Go to the Admin section
- Go to LaunchPoint, click on New and select New Service.
- Enter a Display Name for your service, select the LinkedIn Lead Gen service from the drop-down, and click Next.
- Marketo opens a new tab in the same browser to www.linkedin.com. Log into LinkedIn using the account you want to use for the integration.
- After you’re logged into LinkedIn, return to Marketo and click Authorize.
- When prompted, click Allow to accept the Marketo app installation into LinkedIn.
- You’ll notice you are now authorized. Click Next.
- Select the account(s) you want LinkedIn Lead Gen leads to come into Marketo from and click Next.
- To accept default LinkedIn to Marketo field mappings, simply click Create.
Or, follow the instructions in this guide: http://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Set+Up+LinkedIn+Lead+Gen+Forms
Step 5: Create Marketo Lead Gen Form Capture Campaign
In our case, we are promoting webinar registrations with our LinkedIn sponsored content, so we created a Special Registration Campaign called Registered – LinkedIn Lead Gen Form campaign. In the campaign, we set the Smart List Trigger of Fills Out LinkedIn Lead Gen Form with Lead Gen Form Name: Contains (Lead Gen Form name from LinkedIn) and flow steps of Change Program Status and Send Email. Go to the next step for information on how to test this campaign.
Step 6: Test the Connection
There is a problematic chicken and the egg situation with testing these incoming leads. The problem is, Marketo cannot populate any Lead Gen Flow Action values until the first lead has come through. So, configuring your campaign to be completely ready to capture incoming leads from Ad launch is very challenging.
Where the technical problem lies is that in the Marketo Campaign Flow actions, the following are all picklists, you will not see any values in those lists until a lead has used the Lead Gen Form.
- Lead Gen Campaign Name
- Lead Gen Form Name
- Lead Gen Account Name
- Lead Gen Creative Name
After talking to Marketo support, their suggested solution is to simply navigate to the enabled LinkedIn ad, send a test lead through and populate the campaign flow. This is the tricky, nigh impossible part, because as of 11/10/2017, there is no way to easily navigate to the Lead Gen Form enabled ad in LinkedIn, and since Lead Gen forms are only available in mobile at this point it makes it even more challenging. We’ve spoken to LinkedIn Support about this issue and it’s on their radar, but there’s no solution as of today.
One solution we found simply so that your Marketo Campaign flow can be configured to capture leads from go, is to set the Fills Out LinkedIn Lead Gen Form trigger setting Lead Gen Form Name: CONTAINS then cut and paste the Lead Gen Form name from LinkedIn. We haven’t tried this for the other Constraints as of this posting, but it worked for the Form Name.
So that’s it; when and if LinkedIn adds any new functionality to ad visibility, we’ll add that information to this guide.
List of Resources:
Integrating Marketo with LinkedIn for audience segments: https://www.linkedin.com/help/lms/answer/73937?query=marketo
Installing LinkedIn as a LaunchPoint in Marketo: https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Add+LinkedIn+as+a+LaunchPoint+Service
Integrating with LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms:
Adding LinkedIn Admins
Permissioning for Lead Gen Forms